Monday, October 19, 2009

Happy Tihar and Bhai Tikka


Tihar is the BIGGEST FESTIVAL in Nepal! It's like Christmas for us Hindus! :o) Known as the festival of lights, we worship the Goddess Laxmi, goddess of wealth! It's always a great time to be at home...cos it's just buzzing. And the house is decorated beautifully! :o)

Tonight is the last day of Tihar! And it's Bhai Tikka, where we, sisters, wish our brothers fortune and we pray for them to have a long, prosperous life! I am not only a sister to my two brothers, but also to two other young Nepali boys who live in the area but do not have a sister. So it's like I've adopted them as brothers too! Or rather they've adopted me as a sister!

We've grown up as one BIG FAMILY surrounded by love and care. I actually remember collecting him from school one day because his parents were going to be out so I picked him up from outside his classroom and brought him home to my parents to look after him. It was before his younger brother was born and he was so young that he started a little conversation with me about having brothers and sisters. He told me how he felt lonely in his house, and how he wished he had a brother or sister to play with... And then, looking up at me, with his sad eyes, he asked,
"Will you be my sister?"
... I remember my eyes welling up with TEARS, and I said "Of course, don't be silly! Of course I am your sister!"

And since then, we have always celebrated Tihar together as one big happy family, with a couple of new additions... My uncle and his family came from Nepal and now reside in Ireland, so we have a new "sister" and "brother" ...my cousins! It is quite the occasion, a nice time to spend with family.

So I just wanted to take the time to wish you all a

Happy Tihar and enjoy celebrating Bhai Tikka!

These are just some pics from our Bhai Tikka!Jai Nepal!

Bina :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails